Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Ahhhhhh.... 1/3 done

The success to great sewing is counter space.  I will never own another kitchen without a big dog leg on it again.  I seem to pick large projects to sew.  I think it's the 'are you nuts?' gene that controls my thought patterns.

I remember trying to cut out the first bedspread I'd ever made.  I had absolutely no counter space so I had to do it all on the floor.  It killed my back, neck and knees and I was sore for days.  Gee....that was before the whiplash from being rear ended and screwed up back from a fall in the driveway when the road was washed away.  I think if I had to do it on the floor again, I probably wouldn't be able to get up.  Hahahahahaha!
I didn't realize how much I rely on homemade templates until I looked at the counter and saw all the cut and marked up file folders.  These are just a couple.  I know I use them a lot when I hem garments.  It's so much easier on the eyes than trying to constantly read the numbers on a ruler or tape measure.  I measure once, mark the template and off I go.  I think I got that from quilting because I use a lot of templates (usually store bought) when working on a project.  I've been known to make a template out of a flimsy piece or paper, brochure or tag off the garment.  It all depends on if I'm to lazy to search out file folder pieces.  If I can put an iron to it without messing it up....it's perfect template material.

See the pink yardstick?  It's GREAT!  I got it from Wally World and love it.  I have a ruler to match.  It might be aluminum or some kind of cool plastic but it's light weight, thin, has big numbers and is easy to flop around.  Ya gotta check them out.  I think it was just under $4.
It took 5 days from start to finish to complete the dust ruffle.  I went through a ton of movies but yesterday I was just burned out on them.  What to do when that happens you ask......Put in Josh Groban.  He's not only a little cutie but his voice just relaxes all the tension out of me.  So there's Josh singing his heart out to me.
Here's the dust ruffle completed.  Yeah, I know, I put it on crooked so it's higher at the foot of the bed then the head.  That's okay because I just put it on for this picture.  I made it a skosh big so when I wash it and it shrinks it'll fit perfectly.  Right now it touches the floor a little to much.  After washing it, it should have a small gap between the carpet and bottom of the ruffle.
My mother-in-law would be so proud that I'm using her bedspread.  Here's a close up of her beautiful handiwork.  She was an artist with a crochet hook or knitting needle.

The best part is, the bedroom now smells like her room again.  Before I made the dust ruffle, I threw the bedspread on the bed just to have it out.  I've caught myself laying on the bed during times of stress or when I just felt lonely and sad.  I love the fact that I can smell and sense the essence of her.  It really settles me down.  Having her live here for so long really helped imprint her aura into the house.

I find it sad that I don't have that with mom and dad.  I have to do with memories and pictures because they never spent enough time here to imprint their aura on the house.  I think much of that was because dad once told me, "Your house is to big and cold.  It doesn't feel inviting.  I liked the house on Santa Fe best."   Oh well....that's water under the bridge.

I think I'm starting to get a bit sad here so I'll go meet D in the bedroom for our afternoon delight.  It's so nice being an empty nester.  Off to a world of romance I go.

Happy thoughts to all!

2 comments:

Wudas said...

It's so nice to appreciate handiwork that was done with such skill. Quilts are collectable bit no one seems to appreciate knitted and crocheted things. You've done a terrific job! The room looks beautiful.

I have a tall fold out table to cut on. But I'm sure it's not getting older that makes it harder to get off the floor. The floor is just further away than it used to be.

Shannon said...

I don't seem to have the getting up off the floor problem, at least not yet.

Your dust ruffle came out beautiful. Do you wash your fabric before you make something? I always do, and then I don't have to worry about shrinkage afterward.

That was thoughtless of Poppy to make such a remark about your home.