Thursday, April 23, 2009

Girly Wimp...

Yesterday, as with the rest of Northern California was hot.  It's not so much the hot but the humidity that gets to me.  It was actually cooler (84) then the day before which was around 94 but the humidity gave it that 'in the oven' feel.  

It's hard to see in this picture but by 4:00 the wind had picked up.  We normally get monsoon style winds where it's actually tough for me to walk around outside.  These winds were great.  It was obvious it was going to be cool today because you could just feel that warm air with a touch of cool.  As the evening wore on it got colder and colder.

I took lots of pictures of the trees blowing but none of them would cooperate.  I felt like a boob outside trying to time the shutter to the sway of the tree.  I guess what I'm saying is, I'm just not good at photographing the wind.  LOL!
Yesterday I mentioned to D how I hated the large tools I had to use.  I told him I'd like smaller heads on the tools to make my gardening less tiring and more controllable.  I have a shovel with a small head that's wonderful.  D's shovel holds 3 times more dirt but who cares.  If I can't lift the darn thing...what use is it?  LOL!

He said he was going to Home Depot and would look to see if they had smaller tools.  I didn't pay much attention when he got home and disappeared into the garage.  I saw him in the garage with tools and pink paint.  This morning I found these perfectly scaled down tools he made for me.  

He bought the smallest hoe and rake he could find.  Then he took them apart and cut a tine off each side of the rake and narrowed the hoe for me.  For an added touch, he painted them pink to make them mine all mine.
I went outside this morning with the intention of doing a little gardening with my new tools.  It was just to darn cold.  I managed to water my newly planted Carnations but soon gave up because I kept getting my feet wet and cold.  The reason for this is because Nisie decided to help.  

She's been allowed in the yard with me the last three days and has decided she loves water.  The first day she looked like a soaked rat.  She was so wet it actually took her 45 minutes to dry out.  She just can't quite get it in her head she can't catch the water coming out of the hose.

I tried to explain to her that's a big dog trick and dachshunds don't like water. She looked at me like I was speaking another language.  Okay..okay...I was but you get the point.

I've turned on the pellet stove and am now trying to decide if I want to haul out the sewing machine and start the bed ruffle for the guest room or work in my closet getting it ready for it's demolition.  Hmmmm....so much to do....so little time.  LOL!

2 comments:

Wudas said...

She comes by that honestly. Her dad will walk right through the sprinkler and even play with the sprinkler heads in the summer. It looks like she would use a Lixit.

It is beautiful here. 73 and windless. It should the mid to high 70's so we have one more day of good weather before it gets a bit chilled. Even then it should be in the low 70's. Don't think I'll have to fire up the stove but there are four bags of pellets left if I need to.

Shannon said...

I am loving the cooler weather! That's very sweet of Uncle Dave to scale down garden tools for you.