Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Deer-o-deer

I really....really....really want a vegetable garden this year.  I approached D last week to see if I could sweet talk him into putting up a fence to keep the deer (as an added bonus rabbits) out.

I came outside yesterday and this is what I saw.  He took the old trampoline pieces we had and added them to the fence where my garden will be.  I'm not the least bit thrilled about looking at this beast from the backyard but it will certainly keep the deer at bay.  I'm thinking this year I'll plant the beans and peas on that wall so they can climb up the fencing.  I was also playing with the thought of planting some grapes and training them to grow up the fencing.  That however will take years and years.

If I could find some big fruit trees maybe I could continue what I did with the apple, cherry, peach and lemon trees and turn them into tall epelier plantings.  I love the thought of something that will come back year after year and eventually hide the upper fencing completely.

Got any fruit or vegetable vine ideas?  I don't think I want wisteria, jasmine, morning glory, etc.  I like the idea of picking something eatable off the fence.

2 comments:

Wudas said...

Anything you can pick off the fence so can the deer.

dwgnldy said...

I don't believe there's enough room between the dump truck and the fence for them to enter. Even if there is, it's a narrow space they'll avoid. It'll give them the impression it's a trap and there's no way out.