Sunday, April 19, 2009

Kids, Dogs &....

Everybody, I'd like you to meet Sean. He's my unofficial grandchild. He's the product of Marge and Patrick. S and P have been best friends since junior high. He's like a second son to me. He and S would switch from being the 'good son' to the 'bad son'. Never were they both allowed to be the good son. One always had to be on top.

P's dad wasn't in the picture while he grew up so D took that position. He has two older brothers but they'd beat the crap out of him rather than help him. It's an odd sort of family unit.

Margie has known P since they were kids. She's has the kindest heart of anyone I know. I think she was born in the wrong generation. She reminds me of my mother in law in many ways. In the 12+ years I've known her, I've never seen her mad or heard her swear. She's soft spoken and an absolute love.

Sean turned 1 last week so yesterday I went to his party. I had to represent the family because everyone else had to work. That's how weekends are around here. Patrick didn't want toys for Sean because he has so many. I told him we were going to be the cash grandparents. We felt savings was more important than another toy.

Marge got very emotional when she opened our card telling Sean we'd opened a college brokerage account for him. In the future in lieu of gifts, we are going to add a little to the account. S has decided he'll also skip the toy buying and being a good uncle will also add funds to the account. I wish I had been smart when I was young and done something so simple for our kids. Instead we didn't start until they were older so they'd didn't have the advantage of a long term investment for college.
Well, mousing season is upon us. Pepper used to take care of the little beasts for me. She was a better mouser then the cat we owned.

Looks like the Bear is going to finally take over for Pepper. Apparently there's a mouse under the bar somewhere and she can hear it. She'll sit staring at the corner where the fireplace meets the bar and just stare waiting for the mouse to appear.
With her advanced age (13) she does get tired after about 45 minutes and lays down. Still her head is up and her nose pointed the direction of the sound. I'm absolutely astounded at how long she will sit without moving or making a noise. Talk about patience.

I had a rush job on some Zoobies yesterday morning. It was crunch time trying to get them done before going to the party. I made it and was home with 1/2 hour to spare in meeting the customer.

I'm hoping to put some time aside to update paws blog. I've got 6 new Zoobies to take pics of and post. Although I feel like I've been working like the energizer bunny lately and am thinking of throwing in a movie and just fiddle farting around today. I think I'll take advantage of the quiet time before D comes home from work. Wow...that was a quick decision to make. LOL!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Sounds like you've been very busy