Friday, May 1, 2009

Sun, Sand & Surf.

Poor me....yesterday Sarah kidnapped me and we went to Santa Cruz.  It was a wonderful day.  Relaxed and low key.   We started out at this lighthouse which was on its own little finger of land surrounded by sand and sea.
Back to the strange big cement forms.  If you stood at the edge of the walkway, peered down between the forms and found a patch of sun, you'd see a crab or two warming itself on the rock.  There were to many to count.
See the lighthouse in the picture?  That's how far we walked.  We strolled and took our time so weren't out of breath or tired.  Look at how empty the beach is.  I think we saw about a dozen people.  Considering it was a warm beautiful day, I really thought there might be more.
See why I hate my picture taken?  I look like a chunky monkey.  Sarah on the other hand looks cute.  And tall....I thought she was my height.  Dang!
You can tell the wildlife on the wharf is skittish of humans.  No....no food or treat involved.  This guy just said, "Hey dude!  I'm not gonna stand here forever.  Take my darn picture!"  So I did.
Every time I tried to take a picture of a pelican it moved.  These are two pictures that didn't actually make the bird look like a blur.
I'm trying to decide if hanging around all day on the water would be boring or fun.  One thing's for sure, he doesn't need sun block like I do.  

Which by the way, I had on minimal make up and my Loreal daytime face cream has a sun block in it and I didn't get the least bit burned.  I was surprised.
These guys reminded me of a game of pickup sticks.  There's no way you could lift one and not have someone tumble over.
The wharf was covered in hundreds of seals.  You could barely see that the wharf was white.  Then something spooked them and there was a mass exit into the water.  It was like a mild sonic boom in feel and sound.
Some of the seals took off to do some playing and hunting while the others decided all was well with the world and headed back to the Wharf.  It was obviously the end of mating season because of all the pups.

The picture at the top of the blog is a little pup that was at the top of the ramp all by itself.  It was perfectly happy napping in the warm sun without being crushed by the crowd.  He didn't even bother to jump in the water when everyone else took off.  He wasn't giving up his alone time for anyone.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Looks like you and Sarah had a great time in Santa Cruz.

I wear my Bare Escentuals foundation every day. I even go running with it on and I've never gotten sun burned because it has sun screen in it and the make is all 100% natural. No chemicals in it. I love it.

Kelly O said...

Those are great photos, looks like a great trip.

I use Bloglines to read my blogs and have been subscribing to your blog and wondering why you were not posting.

It turns out I was subscribing to the wrong feed. If you will excuse me I am going to read the posts I missed and hang my head in shame.

I am on the right pg now.

Wudas said...

Great pics! Isn't it wonderful how these new fangled gadgets make us look like we know what we are doing?