Saturday, October 1, 2011

Fall is in the air....

Fall is upon us and it's been raining pine needles the past few days. It looks like brown snow.
They blanket everything from the patio furniture, shrubs, ground and roof.
The rain gutters are filled with them. Guess that's on the list to clean out before the rain starts.
It's Saturday so time to go work on the deck next door. First thing on my list is to grab my favorite cup and fill it with ice water. This cup goes in the freezer and has a gel that keeps everything cold for awhile.

What I don't like about it is, after awhile my water tastes like plastic. I hate that and I can't believe it's really good for me if it leaches into my water.
D's been busy on the deck this week. He's got the outside framing done boxing in everything that was done the previous week.
I spent awhile today putting screws in specific spots for extra strength.
This is the 3rd and last side of the deck D ripped out last week. It's connected to the front of their house. There were only a few support uprights holding this thing in the air and they were pretty rotten.
Remember the rickety steps from a few posts back? This is what D ripped apart.
This will be an interesting corner. I don't know if D is going to angle it or just make it a square corner. I'm not going to ask him, I'd rather be surprised.
This is a bit out of order but it shows the frame we worked on week before last (on the right) and the new outside wall D added last week (on the left) and how he pulled them together.
I bought this radio for D years ago. It's been a real trooper. He's dropped it more times than I can count and it's even spent quite a bit of time in the rain. I think it might be on its last leg though. I couldn't get it to work today.
I find that funny since D showed me yesterday it has a built in battery charger in the back. He just figured out it will charge two sizes of his batteries. It took how many years to figure that out? Hahahahaha! I think Santa might have to buy a new one of these this year.
Okay, what is it? Come on...it's my homework from next door for the day.
Give up, they're patterns. D. wants to add steel support brackets to some of the beams of the outside wall he created last week. Each one is a bit different so he had me make custom patterns so he can cut the brackets and install them next week.

Another case of overbuilding from my dear husband.

Well, that's it for today. I'm just shooting the breeze waiting for D to come home so I can make some scalloped potatoes. I have the meat, cheese, onions but not the potatoes. Minor detail.

What can I say, the cool air blowing put me in the mood for oven baked food tonight.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I love seeing the progress you and Uncle Dave are making on the deck. All the pine needles are cool too.

Wudas said...

That deck is a much larger project than I thought it was. How long do you think it will take to finish? They will never have to work on it again!

Kelly O said...

The deck is huge. What is the estimated time of completion?