Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Welcome to Australia!

Every once in awhile I talk about Pete and Linda from Australia. Just as a reminder, they bought mom and dad's retractable and we shipped it to them. Pete is the guy we picked up the TBird for. We've become friends over the years and I just can't imagine life without them in it. They're wonderful, kind hearted people. Soooo...I thought I'd take you to meet them a little more.

Pete built this house about 4 years ago. Linda was in Europe with a friend for three weeks, so Peter took the opportunity to finish some projects as a nice surprise for her while she was gone.
This is the view out their front window. If you look in the distance, there's the ocean. If you're really curious, you can look up their city on Google maps (Flagstaff Hill, South Australia, Australia) and do a satellite view and see where they are in the country. As the Brits say, "They're just across the pond".
While Linda was gone, Pete wanted the patio finished. Ya see, he has trouble with the English language. Hahahahahahaha! When he was talking about getting the veranda done, I pictured a second story deck with wrought iron railing.

Last night we were playing, "What's that mean?" while talking to each other. He wanted to know what a lag bolt was, so I explained it. I asked, "What do you call them?" He said, "Bolt." Hahahahahaha!

I told him everything in America has a specific name. If he went to the hardware store and asked for a bolt, they'd ask, "What kind?" His answer to that was, he always takes whatever he wants with him and shows it to the clerk. I called him a chicken and said that wasn't any fun. LOL!

I think the 'Patio' turned out beautiful!
Pete wasn't content with just getting things done outside. He painted the counter of the kitchen to give it some pizzaz. He hit various rooms giving them a splash of color. Everything turned out so pretty.

I was struck by the lack of upper cabinets in the kitchen. We're definitely spoiled here in the states! We not only have pantries like Linda but upper cabinets to boot. Does that mean we eat too much?

Linda....do you really cook or is this room for show? LOL! Where does she put the food? LOL!!
Here's mom's car. Pete calls it Ellen. When he got it, he added a continental kit and lots of shiny new chrome. It's absolutely beautiful and looks like it just came off the show room floor.

I think this is Pete's brother. He recently got married and wanted the car in the wedding. I think someone needs to tell him the steering wheel is on the other side of the car. LOL! Pete didn't mind loaning the car out but I think he was a bit of a basket case until it got home safe and sound.
This is a Plymouth Pete bought. He puts lots of muscle, time and love in his restorations.
This is the Plymouth after it's gotten Pete's loving touch. Oh....see that funny looking dude standing next to the car? That's Pete. He swears he's Irish. I think he said he was the darkest kid out of the 11 kids in the family. He loves the reaction of people when he talks and an Australian accent comes out of his mouth. Hahahaha!

I gotta tell ya, he prepared me for his dark features but when I saw him, I was surprised. He made jokes about looking like a terrorists and stuff but I thought he was exaggerating. Hahahahaha! He definitely takes after his Lebanese father.

He's a real Teddy Bear. His laugh is infectious and before you know it, you're laughing with him. Ya just can't help it. Sorry Pete, I just had to say that because it's true.
This is Linda. She's smiling here but I know she had a rotten time on her trip to Europe. She went with a friend who was an absolute nightmare. Mean and nasty. I tried to get Pete to ship the witch to me in the trunk of a car. Nana, you or I with our bad shoulders could whip her mean Australian ass in a heartbeat. Hahahahaha!

I think Linda should have hopped the first flight home. On the first leg of the trip, they had to ride with the oxygen masks on because something happened to the inside of the plane. Next, some American had a heart attack and died right in front of them. Yep....that trip was cursed. She should have hauled her little tookis home and called it quits. LOL!

Well, that's my little trip through Australia and introducing you to Pete and Linda. Someday I'll introduce you to their great daughter and son.

Pete and Linda....thanks for being such terrific people!

No comments: