Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Nothing but wet all around!

Yesterday was some of the hardest rain, we've had in years. It's hard to tell in this picture but it's coming down thick, hard and fast.
The rain was so forceful and fast, the water on the roof skipped the rain gutters at the corners where the V flashings are and ran right over the edges. I'm standing under the Portico and still getting wet while taking these pictures.
The difference between men and women? I stayed in the house where it was warm and dry. D spent the day in his shed doing 'guy' stuff.
I hope we continue to have dry spells between the storms so the ground dries out a bit. This is water from yesterday's storm and the storm of a few days ago. That's a lot of water for two storms.
Now me....this is where I belong when it's cold and rainy. Yep, that fire screams, "Why go outside when I can keep you warm inside?"
Between working on PAW's stuff, I've been trying to sew out the 12 Days of Christmas for a wall quilt. If I can get the squares done this year maybe I can get the quilt put together next year.
The squares will alternate between white then cream fabric for the background. I toyed with putting these designs on black or dark blue fabric but decided on lighter colors. I'll put lots of color on the boarder. I've been toying with a ribbon boarder. I've never done one before so it would be a challenge.
These are designs I bought from Amazing Designs. They do beautiful work but I'm very disappointed how they come out of registration here and there. With the price of the designs, they should be perfect in any format.
You can see where it's out of registration here on the tip of the right side of the banner. See where the background fabric is showing through between the green of the banner and the black of the outline edging? It's not suppose to do that.

Normally you do a sample sew out and go in and fix it. These designs take up a ton of thread and lots of time to sew them out. Since it's a quilt for myself, I'll just live with the flaw.

I couldn't do these designs to sell already embroidered because it would be too expensive. The Partridge is 35,000 stitches, the French Hen is 27,000, the Goose is 34,000 and the Maid is 36,000 at $1 per thousand stitches that's 132,000 stitches for 4 squares. Nobody is going to pay that sum for anything. These patterns are for people to buy and sew them out for themselves.

These four designs have taken me 3 days to convert the thread, get everything ready and sew them out.

I'm hoping I can get two designs a day done between my other embroidery work. Today I'm working on Ladies Dancing and Piper's Pipping between my other stuff.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I'm loving the rain, but I do like the breaks in between storms. Your 12 days of Christmas are beautiful.

Wudas said...

I had enough rain the year it flooded to last me a the rest of my life. I don't care if I ever see another raindrop. We did get rain yesterday but not all that much. Just enough to make the mud sticky again.

Kelly O said...

We have been getting quite a bit of much needed rain around here as well. Even a bit of slush yesterday, but no white stuff yet.

The 12 Days are beautiful. I can't wait to see the finished quilt.