Sunday, October 11, 2009

Slowly Catching On...

I'm slowly catching on to this digitizing thing. I've probably got about 1/1000th of the knowledge needed to do my own designs....which makes me dangerous.

Henry is one of my repeat customers. He works for HD with D. I offered to put his name on his apron for free if he'll be advertising for me. He said, "Sure, I'd love to be your billboard!"

He's heavy into Transformers so I came up with this simple design for him. I pulled the autobot and decepticon logos out of a alphabet font I have. They turned out pretty cool.
Terri is Henry's girlfriend. She also works at HD with D. She along with Henry has volunteered to be advertising for me. She wanted a heart with flames coming out of the top.

I created the heart and outline all by my little lonesome. I cut the flames from a design I bought, messed with them to get them to fit and came up with this. I don't like it. Two hours down the drain. Oh well, it's all part of learning.
I couldn't find any ready made flames to insert into the heart so I took a deep breath and said, "Oh....give it a try!" It took me three tries before I settled down and quit trying to be perfect. I loosened up and came up with this. Originally all the flames were one color and I tried using variegated thread (see below) for effect. It didn't light my fire. Hahahahahaha!

I went back to the drawing board and put in a second layer of smaller flames with different shapes and I really like this affect. This only took me two tries. In the final sew out I'll change the orange in the flames to red. It'll show up better on the orange apron.
I did learn not to delete anything right away. I dumped the Terri and inside of the heart and came up with a nice outline I can use in the future. I can see a monogram inside this. I think the variegated thread looks better on the simple outline rather than the original design.

Henry and Terri should be bringing their aprons by anytime so I can get these designs done for them. People flipped over D's name on his apron. I embroidered a sample of 6 fonts for him to show his coworkers. So far the ones who had the wife of another HD employee embroider their names are really unhappy now that they've compared professional embroidery to the hobby quality she's putting on the aprons.

Here's hoping Henry and Terri will help bring me some more business.

2 comments:

Wudas said...

Love the heart with the flames. Excellent job! I think you'll get some referral business from these.

Shannon said...

I like the heart with flames too. I like the last heart with flames that you did. I can't wait to see the finished product.