Saturday, October 25, 2008

New house....

Well S & S finally bought a house.  They were looking in WC, Concord, CV and ended up in Livermore.  The one place that son of mine didn't want to be because of his commute to the city.

Anyway, it took them about 10 months to get a house.  They put 12 or 13 bids on houses but were constantly outbid by speculators.  To say they were getting frustrated is an understatement.

They lucked out on this one and bought it from Uncle Sam.  It was a bit tense for awhile because  of the Freddie Mac/Fannie Mae mess but all turned out well in the end.
It's obvious S is a homeowner.  Look at those pants he's wearing.  I didn't have the heart to tell him those might end up being his dress jeans for awhile.  LOL!  That boy is definitely my kid.

He got in the habit of finding a corner where he could pull up the carpet and see if there was hardwood floor under it.  He struck pay dirt on this one.  The original red oak floors that were installed in 1954 when the house was build were still in tact.  

Anyway, D and I spent last week with S cleaning and painting.  We got the walls of the living/dining room and all bedrooms done.  The woodwork, kitchen and bathroom will get done next week and the week after.  

The workers have been there the past few days stripping and sealing the beautiful red oak floors.  They are turning out fantastic.  Today (Saturday) they'll put the last coat of sealer on them.  The kids will spend tomorrow and the rest of the week finishing up some of the trim work and moving in.

The bathroom is pretty much a mess.  It had the original toilet dated December 1953 in it.  S pulled that out already and installed an American Standard toilet that is guaranteed to flush a bucket of golf balls without any trouble.  Can't wait to test that puppy.

I'm catching up on cleaning my own house and PAW's Embroidery stuff.  I've got to get my tush in gear and finish staining the closet door today because I just know I'll be helping the kids the next couple of days.

Soooo....off to work I go.  I'll post more pics later.  Especially of the beautiful refinished floors.


2 comments:

Wudas said...

Wow! How exciting! Their first house! I remember when....

Please congradulate them for me.

Shannon said...

That's exciting! I hope they are very happy with their first home. Will says that we can send Morgan over to test out the new toilet.