Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Think Pink.....

Even though it's a dark dreary rainy day, the flowering trees and plants are showing off. The almond tree is almost done for the season and there are just a few flowers left. The flowering plums are just beginning and they look like cotton candy. As you can see, some euryops are covered in yellow flowers while others (see the one in the background) are just starting to bloom.

I love this time of year when everything is fresh and new.
I just read my sister's blog and found another one of my Aunts has cancer. I hate that disease. I know we're all going to die of something but I hope when my time comes it's a heart attack in my sleep. Dying doesn't scare me. It's how I die that does.

My daughter-in-laws mother was just diagnosed with breast cancer. Last week they did a biopsy and removed a mass the size of a walnut from her breast. We don't have the results yet but the doctors believe they got it all.

She doesn't sew, so asked me if I'd make 2 heart pillows to donate to the hospital. Apparently volunteers make them to donate. When a woman has breast surgery, they give her a pillow to put under her arm for comfort during the healing process. I'm thinking of making three or four if I have time. I'm working on different embroidered designs to put on each one.

I'll be running in the Relay for Life marathon in San Ramon in June. My daughter in law is the captain and she's got soooooo many ways of raising money. I'm surprised I've raised $65 so far. I have to add in another $10 from my Australian friends. My individual goal is $100.

My sister mentioned in her blog about buying pink items so donations get made to breast cancer research. My in-laws both died of cancer so the way I honor them is to make a donation on their birthday to the American Cancer Society. I figure if they were alive, I'd be buying a gift for them. Since they're no longer physically with me, I can still celebrate their birthdays with a small donation.


2 comments:

Shannon said...

I like your embroidery on the pink back ground. I know three people doing relay for life and I can't afford to donate to them all. I'll be donating to one and I admire everyone for doing it.

Wudas said...

I know so many people that have died of cancer. I was just thinking about it today. I guess I donate to breast cancer research the most because it's the easiest and because I happen to have breasts. I truly believe that when they lick one kind of cancer the rest will follow like domino's falling.