Thursday, December 3, 2009

Itzall about me day....

Yesterday was a long awaited "ME" day. I've been working for everyone but me. D, the house, customers, friends, family. I decided I needed a day for myself.

I knew yesterday was the day when I woke up to one of my favorite mornings. Fog all around except our house sitting in the bright morning sunlight. I love those days because all the houses within seeing distance are hidden in the haze. It takes me back to when we bought the house 25 years ago and no one knew where Danville was.

Those days are definitely long gone. Civilization has found us.
I returned things to several stores. The shortest line I stood in was 9 people ahead of me. That was at Kohl's return department. I didn't mind waiting because I could see the two women at the counter were funny and really nice to the customer(s) when they got to their window. They made the wait well worth it.

My goal was to return items to three stores. WalMart being the longest line (15 ahead of me) and having the worst customer service.

I finally got a little ahead with PAW's finances so I decided I really...really needed a new chair. My back has been killing me with the long hours I sit and digitize.

Here's the old chair. It's a hand me down. I'm tired of hand me downs or chairs that were on sale so...."will do". This chair has always been too big for me. My feet don't hit the ground, there's no support for my tush and I'm always sitting on the edge of the seat with a pillow to fill the space behind me so I can lean back. Also, it won't let me pull up close to my desk because the arms get in the way.
I gave myself a $350 budget. I sat in so many chairs and took lots of notes. I didn't care about covering, cloth, mesh, leather, vinyl. I did want arms and they did have to be covered. That immediately threw a bunch of possibilities out the window.

I didn't look at price because I didn't want it to sway me so I'd do the, "I don't want to spend that much!" attitude.

I'd narrowed the field down to a black mesh but the lumbar support was just off a tad. A pretty black ultra suede with a mesh back but the seat felt just a hair long. I was at my last store, I was pooped and a bit discouraged. They don't make chairs for short people. This was most likely about the 80th chair I'd put my butt in and it was heaven. I was wheeling all around the desks, swiveling and loving the chair.

The sales clerk came over and asked if I wanted him to plug in the chair. I must have had a funny look on my face because he then proceeded to show me how it vibrates for upper and lower back. He plugged it in, I turned it on and it was instant love.

It's a pretty brown leather with a well padded seat and back. The lumbar is just right and the arms are thickly padded. The best part is.....it's for short people. D hasn't seen it yet but he won't like it because he'll say, "It's too small!" Yep...that's the point.

The chair in the store was perfect. My feet hit the ground it was comfortable. When I brought mine home and put it together, my feet don't completely hit the ground. I've found that is a common problem with stuff after I've put it together. It's never exactly like the floor model.

Oh the best part is...it was on sale for $99 and I had a discount coupon so for once in my life I bought the extended replacement warranty. I know this chair is going to get a workout. So the discount paid my tax and all but $2 of the extended warranty. It's a match made in heaven.
Luckily, back in the mid 1970's my husband made me an oak footstool I used at work. I could never find a secretarial chair that was short enough. Every time I'd transfer to a new department people would laugh at my footstool then try it out and ask if D would make them one. I always said, "Nope...this is a one of a kind".

When I retired, I kept the stool and put it to good use when we turned one of the bedroom into an office. It's been with me ever since. So, as I type this, I've got good posture, my back is being massaged and I my feet are firmly placed on my little wooden stool.
D worked until 11:00 last night. After I put my chair together, I checked to see what was on the tube. Nothing of much interest so I grabbed my Kindle, put on my PJ's and curled up on the bed in front of the fire D made for me to enjoy when I got home. What a nice surprise it was.

I was so relaxed I actually fell asleep somewhere around 7:30. I didn't hear D come in. It would have been around 11:30 or so. I got up this morning refreshed and ready to take on a new day. Yep....my ME day worked out just fine.

2 comments:

Wudas said...

I love those kinds of days. Good for you. It refreshes both body and mind. Now if I can just get Darryl to take one...

Shannon said...

Everyone needs to have those days. Good for you for taking time out fro yourself.