Monday, July 13, 2009

Good Days and Bad Days....

It took me 3 days to do this design. It was a ready made design I had to size and do some color changes on. So I spent the first day doing those changes and sewing out a sample. The next day I put the design on a black vest I'd bought. I couldn't hoop the vest back so I used the fast frames I use on bags. The design turned out lopsided and icky. The vest fabric is a soft knit so it stretched all over the place because the fast frames couldn't hold it equally on all sides.

D said it looked fine and nobody would notice. Of course being anal, I couldn't accept that. Yesterday I spent the day creating a mock frame around the design. Then I sewed it out on nice sturdy fabric. Before doing the black edgings, I pinned the lopsided design on the vest to the back of the hooped heavy material. Then I appliqued one design over the other with the three outside rings meshing both fabrics together. I started at 8 yesterday morning and finished around 4:30 yesterday afternoon. It took a ton of time and days but I'm really happy with the result. You can't tell there's a screwed up design under that whale. I just loved the design of the whale turning into a wolf representing both land and water animals and was going to make it look nice if it killed me. LOL!
See my melons? No? We worked very hard fencing in the garden area to keep out the critters. It took care of the rabbits and deer which are the animals I thought were my pests. As soon as the seeds would sprout, they'd disappear. Then something started digging up the mounds and pulling out the seeds. The other day I saw who was doing it. A squirrel. Yep, the little beast crawled under the shed and into the garden to dig up my seeds. I'm starting to think the powers that be don't want me to raise my own food. Hahahahaha! Next year, we'll be seeing what we can do about the squirrels.
On the up side, here's my first big boy tomato. It's about the size of my little pinkie but it's there.
Here are four romas doing just fine. No that's not the new math, there's a forth one hiding behind these three. the cherry tomatoes and tomatillos aren't showing any fruit yet. I'm hoping when I get back from Washington, the plants will be showing off their ability to bear lots of tomatoes.

2 comments:

Wudas said...

The pest I have are peacocks. The bugs ate most of my plants except the tomatoes. The peacocks are starting on the tomatoes before they are even ripe. I'm going to figure out how to keep them out and let me in.

Shannon said...

Your garden is looking good and the whale came out beautiful.