Monday, September 5, 2011

Some Great Ants and not so Great....

For a week and a half we've been fighting the not so great ants. I've given up on the big names like Raid, Black Flag etc. They just don't make the same product they did years ago. Must be an eco thing. sigh.... We tried Hot Shot and the ants completely ignored it. We put Terro next to the Hot Shot dispensers and the ants went wild.
Rather than remove the old containers we just added new ones next to them. It's hard to see but each one of these is filled with little black bodies. Wooowhoooo! We've had a black line coming down the pillar on the kitchen counter for well over a week. Yesterday it got very thin and today I think there were less than a dozen creatures looking for food. Yep, Terro wins hand or should I say, Ants Down! LOL!
Now this is a Great Aunt. Yuck...yuck... This is my Great Aunt Harriet. For my nieces out there and daughter in law, this would be your Great, Great Aunt Harriet. She's my mother's, mother's sister.

When I was up in Seattle at the cousin reunion (pictures to follow at a later date), I called my cousin Harriet to see if I could visit my great aunt. She said, "Absolutely, she'd love it!"

I saw Aunt Harriet when I was up there in 2009 and she remembered the visit and all of what we talked about. She's as sharp as a tack for a woman who will be 97 in November. She's just limited on her mobility. Which doesn't seem to slow her down much.

She was thrilled I bought my sister Sue with me. It's been ages since they've seen each other.
This being Labor Day, I thought I'd labor. Yep, that's me working on the neighbor's deck. D was working on the part that will go around the second side of the house and I was permanently attaching the framing boards on the edge of the backyard side. I surprised him by being done much faster than he thought I'd be. So I filled in my time eating some grapes from Carol's arbor. LOL! They were pint size but sweet.

Now I'm home trying to catch up on paperwork but thought I'd better do the blog since I got a text message from my daughter-in-law reminding me I haven't posted in awhile. D is starting the BBQ so I can cook a pork roast for dinner but we'll head next door for a little more work.

I'd forgotten how rewarding it is to work on a project that size and actually had a great time. I do have a stipulation to work in the shade whenever possible. LOL!

Happy Labor Day to you all!

3 comments:

Wudas said...

Those are the same steel toed shoes I wear when working on a heavy duty project! Great minds think alike!

Fabulous picture of Aunt Harriet. She sure looks good for 97. The last time I saw her was when Aunt Darlene and Uncle Bill renewed their vows.

I discovered Terro. Okay, Darryl told me about it. But their are too many ants here for anything but a professional to do any good. It's a problem on the whole street. We think there is a monster ant colony under the east side of Patterson. Seriously, even the bug professionals can hardly believe it.

Shannon said...

I just read Mom's first line in her comment, which totally made me laugh. I was going to say, "shouldn't you be wearing more protective shoes when working with power tools?" This comes from the woman who had to fix Morgan's foot because he dropped an exacto knife on it.

So far we've never had a problem at our current home with ants. I've always found that spraying bug spray around windows and doors really helps a lot.

Nice to see that you posted. I'm glad that Sara texted you about it.

Kelly O said...

Holy Cow, I hope I age as well Aunt Harriet. She looks beautiful!

Great safety shoes.

Cinnamon will keep ants away with no chemicals. Sprinkle it around where they coming in and they will not cross it. Odd isn't it?