Sunday, July 3, 2011

Finally a Swimming Pool!

We decided to join the ranks of the rich and famous and get a swimming pool installed. So a trip to the upscale Le WalMar was in order. First I had to decide on shape. Hmmmm...did I want round or round? After much soul searching, I decided on round.

Next, did I want blue or blue? Darn! Another tough decision to make. "Okay", I thought, "I'll go with the blue".

Oh my, now size. Well I was limited on space so I thought maybe the 12' that's a hair under 3' deep will do. After all, I do need to be able to get in and out of it without breaking my neck.

Now it was time to find a crack installer. I decided Mr. David's Construction and Remodel would do. After all, they're highly professional in dress and manner.

Once I signed the exclusive contract, Mr. David himself started the construction along with his able assistant Ms. P.

Mr. David immediately tackled the filter and electrical while Ms. P. handled the pool herself.
Fortunately she's a hearty old gal with strong lungs. Although, I did hear grumblings of being light headed once in awhile. Then of course there were the times when she would lay down and blow into the pool inflating it.
While Mr. David was still busy with the pump and such, Ms. P continued to work on the pool itself. Okay, out of fairness, Mr. David did give her a hand trying to work out the wrinkles.
Once the pool was being filled, Mr. David took on the job of blowing up the accessories. As you can see, he's not quite as long winded as Ms. P so he decided it would be beneficial to take the accessories to the garage and blow them up with the air compressor.

A great plan in theory with the exception of the loud 'BANG!' Ms. P. heard on the other side of the house. Yep, you guessed it. He blew up the accessory with enough air to make it explode like a balloon. Luckily, that particular chair was for Mr. David.
Here is the pool almost done with Ms. P.'s chair and a new pink raft to float on. She is nice enough to let Mr. David use her floating chair. What a doll.

The pool still needs about 3 more inches of water which will be done most likely tomorrow (Monday) and a little more air in the top ring. Other than that and a little more tweaking, it was a joy to float in last night in the heat.

This job is so professionally done, there's a deep end and shallow end. Luckily the patio was custom made to drain rain water so the pool can have the customary deep/shallow ends.

I've never had a concept of space and always have to lay out a remodel plan with tape on the floor in the house. To me 15' is the same as 5'. For someone who uses measurements in embroidery all the time this is really a handicap.

Anyway, when I was looking at the pools, I thought 12' that's not big. I almost went for the bigger one but decided I'd pay attention to the wallet and scale down. Holy cow! 12' is really big! It took up the entire patio off the deck. While floating last night, neither of us bumped into each other unless we specifically tried. How cool is that?

When I got out I told D, "I didn't realize how big this thing was going to be until it was done. Then I thought about our first bedroom being 8'x10' and this pool is bigger." I couldn't quit laughing.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I like your fancy pool. Looks very cool.

Kelly O said...

Great Post! You made me laugh so hard. Now that you are well practiced on fixing wrinkles you want to have a go at some of mine?

Enjoy the pool, it looks great.

Wudas said...

What a great idea! I might consider that myself next year. Maybe I could get one on clearance in the fall.