Sunday, July 10, 2011

Frustrating Day in the Embroidery World...sigh....

I've been having fun working on the critters for the quilt but today has been so darn frustrating. I think it began when I actually wanted to sleep in this morning and D refused to wake up and feed the dogs. Now sleeping in for me is 7:00. I hauled my tush out of bed and took care of them. Once I'm up that's it. I tried going back to bed yesterday at 5:30 but ended up reading until 7. So I think I'm out of balance.

Anyway, I put this little snail together today and the satin stitch just wouldn't grab the fabric. I've been basting the fabric, cutting it out and gluing it on the final quilt block, then attaching it and doing the embellishing.
On the second try, I basted the fabric to the quilt square and cut around it with my applique scissors. It's better but I'm still not happy. I need to cut closer to the basting stitch, change the basting stitch to a double run so it'll hold everything together better. The basting stitch is allowing the applique to move. I also think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and widen my satin stitch. I wanted it narrow but I think it'll allow the fabric to fray after washing.

I don't think I'll have to make the satin stitch too thick, I'm thinking of going from 1 mm to maybe 1.2 or 1.3 which may give me that extra grab I'm looking for without intruding on the design.
The frog is pulling away at the outer edges of his legs so I'll redo him too. Also, it's driving me nuts that he doesn't have holes for his nose. Sorry S, I think he needs to breathe. I've already digitized them in for the next design and changed the satin stitch to 1.2 mm.

I just got off the phone with my son. He's on his way to work so I was describing what I put in this blog and he got real quiet. After I finished he said he didn't understand a thing I said. Hahahahaha! He was polite and listened while I rambled on about the designs, so that meansI trained him right. Hahahahahahaha!

Well, I need to get away from this project for while so I think I'll go watch Sewing with Nancy and Quilt in a Day. Two of my favorite shows. I see the old Zorro TV show is on between the two, so I think I'll go grab some lunch and eat my way through the next 90 minutes and chill out.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I hope that your next ones come out the way you want.

Wudas said...

Nothing like a little ol' time TV to zone out on to clear your brain.

You are a perfectionist and you will achieve what you want. I know what you mean though. I have an baby afghan idea in my head. It's an adaptation from a big afghan. I am already worried about the kind of yarn to buy and what hook will achieve the look I want...and so on...

Kelly O said...

You are quite the perfectionist, they look great in the photos.