Saturday, May 22, 2010

A Matter of Perspective....

Last posting I showed the field of beautiful yellow flowers/weeds. I'm having a senior moment here and can't remember their name. Something like mustard flowers. Anyway, I said I'd take a picture of the other beautiful field of weeds I drive by every morning to work. So here they are.
I wouldn't complain a bit if my hill was covered with these 'weeds'. Aren't they cool? They've been blooming for about 3 weeks now and are just starting to die out.

Who decided these were weeds? It would seem the things that grow fast and reseed themselves naturally are always weeds. Well, with the exception of sweet alyssum and nasturtiums. LOL!

Is it a plot by the nurseries to make sure we come back year after year to buy from them and keep 'em in business? Okay, okay....maybe I'm getting a little carried away here.
Anyway, I decided it's not the houses that makes a neighborhood pleasing to live and drive through. It's the trees and plants that are included in it.
I remember as a kid, the Manor was full of beautiful huge Sycamore trees. Every street had them. You didn't pay any attention to the little houses that were old even in the 60's. They looked quaint peeking out from within all the plants and trees they were surrounded with.

I drove through my old neighborhood about a year ago and all the trees have been cut down. Not just on our street but all the surrounding streets as well. The entire community looks, old, tired and naked. The 'quaint' was gone. It's now just another old neighborhood. Oh the houses are neat and clean but the lack of nature strips it of personality.
I was sitting at this light enjoying the weeds in the field and the view of the hills and thinking, "Wow, I don't miss all the years I spent driving down Meekland, then A then Hesperian to get to work." Other than a few new large box stores, the drive is still the same; Industrial, crowded with traffic and not the least bit pleasing to spend your commute time enduring.

Yep, I'm definitely a nature lover. I'd rather drive through an old area full of trees and plants than a brand spankin' new area with pretty buildings but not a lick of greenery in sight.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I enjoy my drive to and from work, because I have a great view of the whole bay area from the San Mateo Bridge. Sometimes, there are clouds around the whole edge of the sky, leaving the middle blue. It makes me feel like I'm inside a snow globe.

Wudas said...

Amen ladies!