Friday, September 11, 2009

The Adventure Continues V - Homes in Sight!

I think this is one of the most underrated views in Tracy. Look at that overpass. With all the hum drum steel and concrete construction going on in the Bay Area, I think this is the prettiest structure built in a long time. It's simple lines always make me smile. I know...I know...it's an overpass for crying out loud! Hahahahaha!
Pete this is for you. As soon as I can see these windmills on the Altamont Pass from a distance, it means home is within reach. They're homing beacons!
This beautiful view on the western side of the Altamont pass gives me the urge to keep moving even when I'm tired. Yep down the hill and a little more driving and I'm home. For some reason I always have to go to the bathroom when I see this sight. Go figure!
Here is proof positive that beauty is only skin deep. With the old dually, we'd struggle getting up the driveway towing a car. We've even had to rent a 4x4 in the past. Now that's sad...own a 1 ton truck but have to rent another one to get a vehicle up your driveway.

Anyway, D got out, pushed the magic button or whatever behind the front tires, put the truck in it's granny gear, shifted the FWD lever and up we went. The truck didn't creak, groan or strain one bit.

This sad looking old truck definitely was worth ever penny of the $500 D paid for it. I think after this trip, he owes it a nice paint job!
The T-Bird and trailer made it under the portico just fine. Now for the job of unloading it.
To make the job a bit easier, D added his brand spankin' new ramps to help reduce the incline so the car wouldn't drag it's front end when I drove it off the trailer. Look! I'm finally in a picture!!!! Yeah, that's me taking the car off the trailer.
Okay, see what's wrong with the picture. Check out D's brand new ramps. Just the weight of the trunk of the T-Bird bent them. Hahahahahahaha! You should have seen D's face. All he could say was, "My new ramps! Look at my new ramps!" Hahahahahahahaha!

I told him unloading the T-Bird was a perfect test for the ramps. Now he knows they wouldn't be strong enough for a bigger car. Hahahahahaha! Back to the drawing board for those babies. Hahahahahahaha!

Now family & friends....let me introduce you to Pete. No the car is not ours. Pete lives in Australia and bought mom and dad's retractable years ago. He's a fantastic guy with a wonderful wife and kids. We've been blessed to become friends with them. Anyway, Pete saw this car on CL and needed a way to get it someplace safe. That's were we came in. As you can see by the postings we went to Tacoma and picked it up for him.

I suspect he'll be buying parts which hopefully, we will be able to put in the trunk of the car. Once Pete has what he needs, we'll ship it off to Australia. It will take a couple of months to make the journey across the pond but it will get there.

Soooo...first....no....D didn't buy another car. Everyone can breathe easy now. LOL!

Second....Don't you all think this is a perfect car for a woman? I think Pete should give it to his wife Linda. Yep, women look great in red. Cast your vote in the comments section because Pete will be reading this blog.

7 comments:

Wudas said...

I sold my 58 Ford Skyliner to a guy in Canada. A year or so later it was on the cover of Via magazine. I know it was my car because of a flaw in the paint job. The car was red and Ford white. I also owned a first gen RX-7 and it was red. The only reason our Prius isn't red is because in 2002 they didn't make a nice red and for that matter neither does Harley. Of course Linda should have a red car!

Tbirdjack said...

Hi, I read your story with interest, nice landscape, and excellent photography, gave one the feeling of also being on the trip. That pete guy must be a dude.. nice taste in cars, Unfortunately, I have to dis-agree with you,the Tbird does not suit her (i'm assuming its his wife)she'd look better as a passenger, plus you mentioned they also had a Buick? well... that, without question would be her car... yes, I'm almost sure that, that's how it would be. Keep up the good work. My name is jack.

dwgnldy said...

The retractable was in an issue of a national car magazine in Australia shortly after Pete finished putting his finishing touches on it. It's also been in car shows over there.

Shannon said...

I think anyone should be allowed to drive any car they want. Sex shouldn't be a factor.

tbirdjack said...

Yeah, I agree with Shannon, except that this one is a dudes car.
With that aside, I think Patti has done a wonderful with documenting this trip, GREAT for us who don't get to see American roadside that often.
Good job.

dwgnldy said...

Okay, I concede. Let Pete keep this car. Even thought he kept, the Retractable, Buick and Plymouth. To make up for that, he should buy Linda a 55 Thunderbird. Of course it should be a convertible.

Pete's looking around for another car. If he finds one on the west coast, there might be another road trip in our future. LOL!

Kelly O said...

Looks to me like anyone would look wonderful behind the wheel of that car.