Friday, September 11, 2009

The Adventure Continues Part III

As a kid I always loved the green bridges of Washington. I thought painting the bridges to match the landscape was cool. I was sad to see how neglected the paint on the bridges was. Washington used to take pride in keeping everything green, pretty and fresh. I guess it's just another sign of the economy.
Okay, here's another clue. We're now in Tacoma, WA and D is at UHaul renting a trailer. The good news is we reserved it so it was ready when we arrived.
The bad news is....they didn't specify the size ball, so ours was too big. D didn't think of putting in a smaller ball and they didn't indicate what size we needed. Soooo....they sold us a ball we don't need for $30. D was on the phone with the rental center trying to cut a deal because of the error but they wouldn't budge and we had to buy something we had sitting in the garage.
This is Fred and I can't remember her name. Shirley, Sherry????? Anyway, they were very nice and saved us a Ferry trip to Vashion Island with a truck and trailer.
Ahhhhhh.....now you're getting the picture. Fred was selling a 1959 T-Bird. His dad has Alzheimer's and this was his car. Fred is liquidating (including selling his towing business) and moving up to Montana or Wyoming to take care of his father.
We ran into a bit of trouble with the securing of the car at this point. UHaul was suppose to include some sort of tie down to secure the back of the car and they told D he didn't need it. We went to two auto parts stores in search of this elusive part because we didn't want to do the side trip back to UHaul. Finally, D asked someone where there was a Home Depot because he knew he could find a substitute for the part there.

We were hoping to pick up the car and be out of Tacoma in an hour but the parts search put us behind schedule by an additional hour or so.
Pete this is Mt Rainier in Washington. It's my cousin Chris' favorite site. She drives a bus for Seattle and it makes her day each time she sees it during the commute traffic.
I kept telling D there was this strange car following really, really close. Talk about tailgating!
Pete this is Mt. St. Helens. It errupted some years ago leaving ash and soot all over Oregon and Washington. I remember seeing pictures of my Uncle in Spokane sweeping up ash and debris from the volcano. It's a reminder that we have several sleeping volcanos on the west coast. Including in California.
I thought this was interesting. I'd been under the impression Washington and Oregon were Obama states. In talking with my relatives on my last visit, they continued to give me the same feeling. Along the way, there were signs or billboards to the contrary.
I figured my dad would appreciate this. We passed a VW micro mini bus while pulling a car trailer. I remember years ago my dad getting upset because he was passed by a VW bus while driving up a mountain highway. If I remember the story right, he came home and put that vehicle up for sale. LOL!

2 comments:

Tbirdjack said...

Excellent shots of some real America.. Nice Billboard, those VW Combie vans, they're sure pulling in the big dollars now where I come from up in south Dakota. Hey, that Fred and RACHEL... They look like nice people. Jack.

Kelly O said...

Beautiful T-Bird