Saturday, June 18, 2011

A Good Friday!

Yesterday morning, the Bear couldn't stand to eat her breakfast. I had to hold her right hindquarters up and balance her. She's been having trouble walking and it's been getting worse. D had the day off so he was assigned taking her to the vet in the morning.

I took this picture of her sleeping before I left for work knowing D would have to put her down. I was angry with her because we'd had a conversation that she would just go to sleep and not wake up instead of making us decide when to end her life.

D took her to the vet and Dr. Dowd came up with three conclusions. 1. She pulled a muscle jumping. 2. Arthritis. 3. A tumor.

She gave D some meds and said if it was the muscle or arthritis she would feel better in a few hours. He said within an hour she was walking more and without the stiffness. So when I came home, there she was trying to jump around while greeting me.

Yep, she's still slow but now much more comfortable than before. She never showed or acted like she was in pain, just slow. So the Bear will be with awhile longer. Sigh.....
At 4:30 yesterday a delivery came to the office. I was at the front desk and said, "Oh...for me?" and laughed. The guy said, "If you're Patricia Ward, they're for you." I was shocked! My husband sent me flowers.

When I got pregnant with both kids, I sent him flowers in ceramic cradles announcing the arrival of a new baby. This is what he sent me.
Yes, you read it right. He got a job! He starts Monday and didn't have any problem going to Home Depot and telling them he can't work Monday through Friday anymore. He's still going to work weekends when they'll give them to him because the extra money certainly won't hurt.

The timing is perfect because they've cut his hours down to almost nothing. He actually isn't working this weekend at all so he's got time to bone up on QuickBooks.

Last weekend I put an ad on CL saying "Hire My Husband Please!!!!!" Then I proceeded to be honest and give his good and bad points. I got several responses, some were scams and some were jobs you wouldn't do no matter how destitute you were.

Then one interesting response came in and the guy said he thought my ad was a joke until he continued to read it and found I was serious. He's the President and CEO of a small company in Hercules with a staff of 12. Most of which are traveling salesmen. This is the 3rd company he's bought. He's looking for someone to start out as grunt and bookkeeper who could eventually turn into the CFO and Comptroller. He loved D's qualifications and the fact that he's "Mature".

He'd tried younger people and they turned out to be unreliable, flakes and didn't like talking to customers. The President is 64 and was looking for someone "Mature" and with business experience but never thought he'd find someone of D's caliber because of being a struggling 2 year old business.

Anyway, D went for the interview and they hit it off along with the second in command who is young (35ish). The youngster was afraid of D's ego and asked him about it. His response was, "I don't have one". Dude, he's an ex VP mucky muck working at Home Depot! Hahahahaha!

Anyway, he'll be doing lots of stuff including cleaning along with his bookkeeping duties. He knows it's a young business and everyone has to pull together to do what has to get done even if it's sweeping the warehouse.

D loves the idea that it sounds like the company I work for in its infancy. Which is exactly what he was looking for.

Also, it turns out the President used to live on our road and my kids used to play with his son. So there was an immediate connection because they kinda knew each other. You know, not as friends but neighbors who'd wave and talk once in awhile.

So....it's a great weekend. The dog is alive and comfortable and my husband is employed. They'll discuss salary Monday which won't be anything like the bank but the opportunity to contribute to a company that already has a bright future is exciting for D. Also, he has the impression he'll make about what I make (maybe more) which will definitely cover the house and car payments. But most of all, he'll be using his brain again. I can't wait to watch him flourish and his self esteem improve.

So...today we're going to the neighbors where D. is fixing their sprinkler system and rebuilding their deck for extra cash. So I'd better hush up now and head next door to give him a hand. We're marking and moving sprinkler heads today. Whoopie!


3 comments:

Wudas said...

WOW! Great!

Shannon said...

That's wonderful! I hope that Uncle Dave likes his new job.

Kelly O said...

That is so awesome! Congratulations Uncle Dave. He will thrive in a job environment that lets him use his brain and offers different tasks all the time.