Saturday, September 8, 2012

Armoire Restoration Phase 1.....

New projects have been started which means the house is a mess again.  Sigh......
I am now living out of boxes.  Which you'd think after 40 years, I'd be used to it.  LOL!
D wasn't able to repaint the armoire last summer because we just didn't have enough warm days in a row for the repairs and paint to dry.
The armoire needed two new legs for more support so it wouldn't sag since it's 9 feet wide.  Luckily, when D took the footboard apart so he could use parts off of it to widen the headboard (into a king size), he kept the old legs.  He's cutting and fitting dowels for the legs so it'll be a tight joint.  It's much stronger than screws and looks more professional.  Since the piece is so old, they didn't use screws on it, it makes sense to keep with that trend.
D, like his son, hates his picture taken so I was surprised to see him pose for me.
D's putting on the primer coat after I cleaned the surfaces.
He had to use filler and wood to create a strong base for the new corner leg to fit into.  Where the old leg used to be, there was a big gaping hole.
Once the filler dried, he sanded it smooth for a nice clean fit.
As you can tell, the dogs have become immune to our smelly, noisy projects.  They just take anything the humans do with a grain of salt.

This is only a fraction of the pieces that need painting but the more we bring out, the more that needs to be covered and protected from the night and morning dew.  So this is just the top, bottom and two of the back panels.  Later we'll tackle the two outside and two inside panels.
Believe it or not, the top of this piece is black.  I painted it today.  The way the sun shines on it makes it look white but trust me it's not.  It's an optical illusion.
This has become our paint of choice for furniture and picture frames.  It's automotive paint that can't be bought at a regular store.  It's usually for the black trim pieces on your car.  It's expensive but extremely durable.  The nightstands we did two years ago, look like we did them yesterday.  

D also painted the entertainment armoire in the family room years ago with the same paint and it still looks beautiful.
This is why I hate to paint.  I get impatient and make the paint run or do stupid stuff.  Although out of fairness, I think this checkered because the surface wasn't clean enough.  I didn't clean the legs but I think D believed I did.  Unfortunately, sometimes things like this happen.  I'm waiting for it to dry so I can sand and fix this booboo even though it won't be seen and will be facing the wall.

No comments: