Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Good times!

I don't know how to say this without sounding bad, so please don't take it the wrong way. After the formal funeral part of officially saying goodbye to dad, I had a great time.

It was wonderful seeing friends and family I haven't seen in ages. I know dad would be happy he pulled us together. We've become a splintered family throughout the years. My daughter was unhappy about having to introduce herself to relatives. It was a real wake up call to her how alienated she'd let herself get from the family.

She loves the idea Kelly came up with about having a cousin reunion every 5 years in Vegas.

Scott was having a hard time pulling himself together after mom gave him the flag. I think he and Heather believed they were prepared for Pops passing but when the time came, reality set in. I'm going to have to make sure they don't have regrets for working long hours and not getting time to visit Pop. He knows they love him and understands how hard it is to get your career started.

Anyway, I'm hoping this will get them to try harder to make time for gran once in awhile. At least a quick phone call or card will help.

After the funeral, Dave and Scott took dad for a ride. With the flag firmly in Scott's hands they hopped in the Vet and off they went. They both said he was with them. Dave got to 120 mph and Scott just under 140 mph.

Chris and I took this picture at the light just before Dave turned the corner onto the freeway on ramp and we heard the squeal of rubber and off they went. Dave said 30 seconds later he yelled YAHOOO!

When they got to Nana's house, they were happy they'd made Pop proud of their wild ride. Here's to you Pop! Hope you had fun in the Vet yesterday.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I had a great time after the formal furneral too. I knew who Heather was right away. I complimented her on her hair and her skirt. I talked to her a couple of times. I think Heather looks awesome with brown hair. Her high lights are also beautiful.

It was seeing Scott crying at the funeral that made me cry.

dwgnldy said...

I tried to avoid being around anyone who cried. I was doing pretty good until Taps.

Dad would have been happy with the short ceremony. It's just what he wanted.